Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Episode #6 Talk of Yoga

No, I did not take Ganny to do yoga. It's her understanding of the concept that is amusing.

Years ago, I made the mistake of telling Ganny that I, at times, try different yoga routines to relax. I was promptly reprimanded and told that this is 'New Age stuff' and that I "should be meditatin' on God." I tried to explain that I wanted to relax, not fall asleep while praying. I told her that what she was thinking of as 'yoga' was the more traditional version of some Asian cultures. "What we mean by yoga here in America now is a form of exercise. You're right, there is a type that focuses on meditation and a religious aspect," (I always try to validate her feelings when possible) "but most people here do yoga as a way to strengthen muscles, and improve flexibility and relaxation." This was not sufficient. To this day I can't bring it up or mention it without reproach and condemnation to - you guessed it - hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment